Friday, July 6, 2007

Bhojbhasa in the morning and Gaumukh

09.10.06. The fresh morning and my fresher mind made it possible for me to actually see Bhojbhasa. So austere, so stark, so simple, so hard, so silent, so harsh; yet, so beautiful – almost like a Norwegian winter, in many ways. Morning routines and tea over, D was persuaded by both of us to attempt reaching Gaumukh. He was very worried about us and not willing to leave us ill and alone. K was still not speaking and I had residual symptoms, on and off. I looked around for the bright red case of my digital camera, could not find it and so had to let D go without it.

After he left with the mules, R and the porters came down to our tent. K was better but had very low grade fever and was willing to speak. He asked if I could arrange for a helicopter. The local council, headed by Baba, told us that it would take 3 days for the helicopter to come from the Indian Army Rescue Unit at Dehradun. Paalki would take 3 days too. One day down. Second day up. Third day out. I persuaded K to come out and feel the fresh air. Finally, he did and after half an hour, began to feel better. I packed up and searched for the camera. R and the porters also searched for it, within the tent, outside the tent, around the dhaabaas, in vain.

D came back from Gaumukh and found us willing to descend. He did not tell us much about how it was: Great! – was all we got out from him, since he is not exactly a chatterbox.

No comments: